Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Notre Dame Basilica

I can't even begin to bring this location justice. I doubt I can put into words the way you feel when you walk into the Notre-Dame Basilica. Or at least the way I felt. I gave my recommended 5.00$ donation, I chatted for a minute with the people tending the door. They were very nice and very interested in New Orleans and what I thought about Montreal both places having a French History seemed to give us a common ground and I was a bit sad I do not know more about the French history in New Orleans.
The basilica is beautiful beyond words. It was built in 1829 on a site that had held mass since 1642. They now hold mass twice every day and four times on Sunday. Since I did not have anywhere to go or any pressing time limits I sat down in a pew for a while. Reading the pamphlet they gave me at the door, listening to the sounds of the old building and watching the people. Not a single one of my pictures represent the place accurately in any way. My eyes had tears in them as I walked around looking at all the painting and carvings. If a church is supposed to be a temple to honor God he could not be disappointed with this one. It seems as though each inch of wall space that is not holding a piece of art is covered in ornately carved wood. Windows of stained glass fill the the space with a soft light adding all the more to the ambiance. Buildings like this hold something wonderful that I can not explain. I am very glad I had the opportunity to spend time here. Picture #1 - the Altar and front of the basilica from the pew where I sat, #2 - confessionals and altar in the background, #3 - organ in the Chapel of Notre-Dame du Sacré-Cœur (a second chapel behind the first) and #4 - a wood carved statue of St. Marguerite Bourgeoys, founder of the Congregation of Notre-Dame.
I will be posting all the pictures I took on Flickr but I suggest you go to the Basilica's website for a better look and more info.

0 comments: