Sunday, June 28, 2009

Trailhead Park on Veronica Shoemaker

I am convinced that one of the best ways to experience any place that I visit is to stop by a neighborhood park. Even though I was born and raised in Fort Myers, Florida the area is constantly changing and my 3 years in New Orleans have been long enough for me to find new places to visit when I come back to Florida to visit family. One of the new things I noticed on this visit is a new park on Veronica Shoemaker Blvd, I believe the address was 3600.

The park was hot on the day we visited and there isn't a lot of shade for the playground area but there are three covered pavilions that are available on a first come first served basis. Which is where I parked my bag while the little guy was playing.

Adjacent to the two playgrounds, each recommended for different age groups, there is a section with exercise equipment. This is not one of those old circuits with a wooden bench and three poles of varying heights sticking out of the ground, this new and improved circuit course has a manual treadmill, skier and row type machines. I was really impressed with how smoothing everything ran considering it is out in the elements and Florida is a pretty harsh environment. I picture this park as the perfect place to meet with a group of parent friends a few times per week. The little ones could play as a few parents watched and the other parents could run through the circuits nearby then switch off, I wish New Orleans had a park like this one, I would definitely exercise more often.

We weren't out every long since it was a really hot day, but while we were at this park there was a group of people in the largest pavilion, they seemed to be having a debate, it was organized and I wondered if it was some type of group therapy session. It was interesting hearing little bits of conversation about why people dumped old boyfriends and what someone would do with a million dollars. A few minutes before we decided to pack it up for the day a couple of people on their lunch break sat down at a table with their sandwiches, which looked really good by the way, they were friendly and said 'hi' to my son as we walked by. These are the types of people you see at neighborhood parks, real local people enjoying the area, just like you.


And Now...
Tip Today - Always leave a flashlight in your car, you never know when you are going to need it, flat tire at night anyone? Show of hands.
Dreaming Of - A souvenir giveaway series from all the places I visit.

0 comments: